Sock Monkey Madness Festival
“Under the Sea!”
Saturday, March 3 and Sunday, March 4
10 am – 4 pm both days
at Midway Village Museum, Rockford, Illinois
Make-A-Monkey Workshops open until 5 pm.
All activities are held inside the Main Museum Center on the museum campus.
Bring your monkey back to where it all began at the Sock Monkey Madness Festival in Rockford, Illinois! This year’s theme is “Under the Sea”.
– Make-A-Monkey Workshop – see details below
– Accessory kits to turn your monkey into a Mermaid, Shark, Starfish and Clownfish (pictured at left)
– Free patches and repairs for well-loved sock monkeys at the Sockford General Hospital sponsored by Walk-In Injury Express at OrthoIllinois.
– Take a photo with sock monkey mermaid Nelson, the world’s largest sock monkey at 7-feet-tall
– Several ocean-themed games and crafts throughout the museum for children of all ages
– Sales vendors with all things Sock Monkey, including clothing and accessories for you and your monkey, toys, games, collectables, and more
– The Sockford Public Library will issue library cards
– Affordable food, snacks, and beverages available
– Rockford Dance Company will perform at 11 am, 12 pm, 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm
– 2nd City Chorus will sing a variety of themed songs at 12:30 pm & 1:30 pm
– Visitors can go on the Treasure Hunt for a prize!
– Discovery Center Museum will provide a children’s craft project
Make your own Sock Monkey in pink, red, blue, green, yellow, or the traditional brown with the help of our talented museum staff. Fee for the workshop is $25 per kit, which includes all supplies to create a Sock Monkey and assistance from experienced staff. Allow two hours to make your monkey, and basic sewing skills are needed. Workshop will be open until 5 pm.
Accessory Kits – “Under The Sea” Theme
Costumes for Sock Monkeys
Visitors may purchase accessory kits for $5 each to turn your sock monkey into a Mermaid, Shark, Starfish and Clownfish (pictured above) while supplies last. Accessory kits are available for purchase during the special event in the Textiles Room in the Main Museum Center, and are made by the visitors with assistance from a museum staff member.
$9 adults, $6 children (3-17), children under 3 are free, Museum Member are free
Tickets can be purchased online through 5 pm Wednesday, February 28. Visitors can also purchase tickets in the museum gift shop, or at the door the day of the event.
Parking is free. When the museum’s main lot is full, there will be a free shuttle available from a nearby lot on Guilford Road. Staff will be directing cars to the appropriate lot.
Please note that there are no ATMs in the museum and pets are not allowed on the museum’s property (with exception to service animals).
The Importance of the Sock Monkey to Rockford History
The Nelson Knitting Company of Rockford manufactured and sold Rockford Red Heel work socks from 1932 to 1992. During the Great Depression, the socks were used to create a folk art sock monkey stuffed toy. In the 1950s, Nelson Knitting acquired the patent for the sock monkey doll and placed the pattern in each pack of Rockford Red Heel Socks is still around to this day.
Questions? Call 815-397-9112